Jesse & Jessica rented a cabin on a horse farm at the base of Mt. Kirkjufell, an iconic location on the north coast of Iceland’s Snæfellsnes peninsula. They had the ceremony right outside of the cabin on their own little island in the bay, celebrated with some cake and bubbly, and they headed off on an epic day of adventure.
Kirkjufell Iceland Elopement On The Snæfellsnes Peninsula
Tell Us About How You Met
We saw each other across the room at a concert in Washington DC, but we didn’t have the guts to talk to one another. A few days later we stumbled across each another on Instagram after posting pictures of the band from the concert. We messaged each other and shared how awesome the band’s performance was and admitted that we recognized one another from the show. Our love for music led us to attend a second concert together as our first ‘official’ date. That was the start of our relationship and here we are now, starting the next chapter of our lives together as husband and wife!
Tell Us About The Proposal
On New Year’s Eve 2018 we had plans to go back to Washington DC to see the same band from the concert where we met. That morning, at home in our PJs, eating breakfast and listening to music, he told me how happy he was and that the only way he could be happier is if he went to the concert that night with his fiancee. It was the easiest question I’ve ever been asked. It was a simple proposal, in the comfort of our home doing exactly what we love.
How Did You Choose Your Wedding Location?
We first considered a traditional wedding in the US, but our families are spread out across the country, which made it difficult to pick a location that was convenient for everyone. We hated the idea of placing the burden of spending thousands of dollars on family members to join us for our wedding. We also weren’t interested in the details that go into planning a traditional wedding and quickly realized that it just wasn’t for us. Luckily we both have families who supported us doing our own version of ’til death do us part’. After researching a few places, we both agreed that Iceland was perfect! Neither of us had been, but we were both up for the adventure. Iceland is a beautiful country. It was the best decision we made and we couldn’t be happier with our experience!
What Was Your Favourite Moment From The Day?
Our favorite moment of the day was touring the Snaefellness peninsula. The whole time that we were planning our trip, we dreamed about this place! It was the first image of the country that we fell in love with. Every time someone asked “Why Iceland?” we showed them pictures of the beautiful scenery and replied with “Why not? Look at this!”. The view from Arnarstapi was a real moment for us. We spent so much time constructing this experience in our mind and to be there in person wearing a wedding dress, suit, and holding a bouquet, was truly a magical moment for us and one we’ll never forget.
Any Advice For Other Couples?
Your wedding day should be about you and your partner, don’t allow the pressure of tradition keep you from having an invaluable experience.
For elopements, we recommend the following:
1. Find a great local photographer! Steph from Zakas Photography was amazing and really was instrumental in making our trip a success. She knew the area like the back of her hand. She helped us plan our itinerary, find our vendors, and even chauffeured us around on our wedding day.
2. Start early on the day of your ceremony and plan a nap! After 5 hours of hiking we definitely needed one and found time after our adventure and before our dinner reservation to take one
3. Eat breakfast, you’ll be glad you did! Also, pack snacks!
4. Make an itinerary for your trip. Having a plan will relieve some of the nerves that are unavoidable in an adventure elopement. Who needs more stress?
5. Choose your vendors early, have a plan, and stay in contact.
6. Schedule a nice dinner reservation after your wedding and don’t forget dessert!
7. Just enjoy the ride, this is your day!
Photographer – Zakas Photography
Florist – @thordisz
Cake – http://saetarsyndir.is/